Wednesday, May 17, 2017

MY EXPERIENCE IN ST JOSEPHS, BAJPE UNDER CHRISTIAN BROTHERS- from Aman (II SCIENCE-2017-18)


What are some of your most cherished memories? Is it the first time you entered school? Or is it the first time you made friends? No matter how much you hated your school when you were in it, you will always feel something missing in your life after you graduate and leave from there.

Admit it, there is no way someone can forget his or her college days. The teachers’ lectures, bunking class and parties in the canteen are pretty much a routine if you are a college-going student. So let me walk you through my memory lane from my first year at St. Joseph’s.

I graduated from my high school in another state, in Gujarat. My dad was transferred to Karnataka. I came here in the month of May, two weeks before the commencement of the academic year 2016-17 at the college. Two days before the first day of college, I was accepted. However, I was so nervous that I did not attend college the first day! I was literally hesitant to go. Nevertheless, the second day, after realizing that I had to go anyways, and after having my dad push me out of the house, I eventually went in. And then, my journey started.

With a meagre smile on my face, I entered into the college, and then, I did not know which class to enter. I literally took my dad upstairs because I was too shy to ask others. When I finally got into my class, I did not know where to sit! I thought to myself, “Oh God! What is happening to me?” and then stealthily went and took a place on the last bench.

My first conversation was with my classmate- and I cannot say if it was good or bad- because it was in Kannada. When I came to Karnataka, I practiced the Kannada alphabet and felt so confident as if I had mastered the language. However, I did not even understand the first word of the conversation. It did feel awkward when someone tried to talk to me, and I would have to tell them that I could not understand. After some time, I eventually adapted into the environment (although some people still cannot understand me). This was my first experience in college.

The first time I saw Br. Hector (Pinto) was when I went for admission. The second time, however, he came to our class to take our attendance and confirm our subject combinations. He has a rich, baritone voice, easily identifiable and this combined with his warm personality makes him an excellent principal and ‘exceptional’ as an individual (whom I will never forget all my life).
The first event, the investiture ceremony for the college council, was where I came to know about Rev. Br. Lenn (Noronha). I was the emcee for the program and I had to invite him. The next time, I heard him singing during the Singing competition. I saw him many times but did not get a chance to meet him or talk to him. When I did finally get a chance, what initially struck me was his voice and a kindness in everything he said. Being an excellent orator, he has this soft, subtle, yet strong and baritone way of speaking that impresses everyone. Not only his voice, but also his humility is his another quality that wins everyone’s hearts.
I did not come from St. Joseph’s high school. Therefore, I did not know anything about the college. My terrible shy nature further facilitated in me being unaware of Br. John (Pereira) and Br. Shawn until almost half of my college year ended. When I eventually came to know them, I knew they too were like Br. Hector and Br. Lenn – ever smiling with a kind and helpful nature. Br. John, especially, has a gorgeous smile on his face, all the time. He really is a hard-working person, as I have always seen him busy in one job or the other.

Br. Shawn is as young and energetic as he can be. Again, with an ever-smiling face, he tends to keep his smile steady throughout the day. He too is a very kind, affectionate and hard-working person.

The Christian Brothers as a group are the foundation for this institution. Each and every one of them, be it Br. Hector, Br. Lenn, Br. John or Br. Shawn, has given their best since joining here. I admire their dedication from the bottom of my heart. Each of them is like a different flower- spreading their own perfume. Just like real flowers, their importance too increases exponentially when they are together- in the form of a bouquet.  

And how can I forget the teachers? Everyone in the staff­- teaching or non-teaching, has always been very kind and helpful. They have always tried to maintain discipline in the college along with teaching the students moral values. Without them, this institution might not even exist. If the Christian Brothers are the foundation stones of this institution, then the staff too is no less than the pillars that have kept this institution standing.


Your future depends on how you are brought up during the most sensitive years of a person’s life- the teenage years. That is why a good college plays a very crucial role in your personality development. And I am glad to say that my college is no exception. Our college is like a place of worship, with us students being the pilgrims. It has induced in us a sense of maturity no one else can, all thanks to the wonderful people behind its existence. 

Aman 
II Science

No comments: