Friday, May 12, 2017

STUDENT FOR LIFE - Neil Sequeira, Australia (Ex-student)


STUDENT FOR LIFE



"A healthy mind in a healthy body" 

I may have never heard that quote in the two years of running down the long hall of St. Joseph's P. U. College, Bajpe, but it is how I remember the two years of my student life there.

My first memory is the interview with Br. Conrad. He asked me a few questions in impeccable English, & I mumbled some answers. While I don't remember his questions, I do remember promising myself that I would learn to communicate like he did, clearly, calmly & confidently. 

My first day at school was more terrifying. I may have been the only unknown student in my class: I had transferred from an entirely different school to everyone else. Walking down the long hallway to 8A class, located next to George master's drawing class, I was introduced to the class as the new boy. By the time the day was over, I had made my first of many friends, Chittu, who quickly updated me about the stories of all the teachers, their special traits, & what to expect. 

I did not, however, know how seriously the Brothers took physical exercise & sport, until I was running out of the back gate to the bus-stop near Mr. B.D.Pai's house that first week. Br. Hector jumped out from his hiding spot behind the gate, where he was waiting for kids such as me, who couldn't wait to get home. That was the day I was introduced to the game of kicking shins, or football, as it is more commonly called.  Furious that I had to stay back, every time I found myself defending against any Brother, I aimed my kicks at his shins. I offer my apologies, publicly and decades later, Brothers Conrad, Hector, Samuel & Joachim!

The results of the first academic exam decided my fate: apparently I was the first student in the history of the school to score the most marks (I still don't believe that), so I suddenly found myself being either befriended, or ignored completely by my classmates. Academic performance was considered most crucial - a belief I have since grown to disagree with - so this also meant most of the teachers in the school knew of me. The pressure was on, so I had to perform!

In hindsight, I was terrible at any sort of sport (and I still am!). While I made it to the school kho-kho team, I never actually played in any game. I got smashed at volley ball, at whacked for sixes and fours in cricket. I could run the 800 meters race, but only if it was done in four stages over two days. I did enjoy, and have a chance at badminton, but was beaten in the first round, so that was the end of that. 

St. Joseph's P. U. College stretched and opened my mind in so many ways. Br. Samuel's handwriting exercises during English classes exposed me to the fine (and definitely not dying) art of calligraphy, something I practice to this day. I've even been teaching my children the same exercises!
Br. Conrad's brilliant ability to go back to first principles to posit and prove concepts has been the mainstay of my working career. So has been, like I said earlier, his example of communicating lucidly.
I cannot forget the contrast that was Br. Joachim - his calm exterior and deep voice hid his generous heart, and his furiously fast footwork on the football field. He taught me the importance of never judging a book by its cover.  

But one memory is seared into my brain: I had eaten my home-packed lunch, and then accompanied two classmates to (the now likely non-existent) Gopli's hotel to eat some goli-baje. When I got back, my lunch box was missing. One of the girls in my class said Br. Hector had taken it. There I was, stuck between going home without the box and getting the treatment from my parents, and terrified of going to Br. Hector to ask for it and getting the treatment from him. 
I swallowed my pride, knowing whatever I got from him was going to be only fractionally better than what I'd get at home and went to Br. Hector's room. He looked up from his desk, and asked me a simple question: "were you still hungry after eating your lunch?" I got neither the cane treatment, nor a lecture but I burst into tears. I've never forgotten the lesson: to be grateful for what I had already received without clamoring for more. 

I look back at the two years I spent at St.Joseph's, Bajpe as the two best years of my whole student life. The Brothers made me a student of life and a student for life. 

Thank you gentlemen, for all that you've done, for so many people, without favour or fear. It is a rich legacy that you leave behind. 

The best of health and the best of luck in your new roles.

Neil Sequeira
Australia
Ex-student








No comments: